The Hamburger Speicherstadt, located in the Port of Hamburg, is considered the world’s largest historical warehouse complex. The listed buildings, together with the neighboring Kontorhausviertel and the Chilehaus, were named as UNESCO World Heritage sites in 2015. The development concept of Hamburg’s Department for Urban Development & Environment envisages the Speicherstadt as an attractive link between the city centre and HafenCity (Hamburg’s harbour district), while preserving the historic building fabric, its appearance and its distinctive structures. Built in 1907 by the architects Hanssen & Meerwein, the warehouses in Block V are located on the southern edge of the Speicherstadt in front of the Brooktorkai. The head building in the west looks onto St. Annenplatz, an inner-city square with an impressive view. The two-tone facade made of red and white brickwork, as well as the various ornamental elements in the facade make this row of warehouses particularly striking. As part of the renovation and modernization work, flood protection is integrated, safety-relevant fire protection measures are carried out, the facade and roof are renovated, and historical elements and details are refurbished and repaired. In addition to the conversion of the existing commercial space into catering, cultural and recreational facilities, the integration of residential space is also considered. The aim is to turn the Speicherstadt into a lively inner-city district.
Size: approx. 20.780 m² GFA
Services: LPH 1-3 (4-9)
Date: in planning since 2019
Use: administration, culture, gastronomy, residential
Client: HHLA 2. Speicherstadt Immobilien GmbH & Co.KG