The House of World Cultures, also known as the “Pregnant Oyster”, was built for the International Building Exhibition INTERBAU in 1957 as a convention hall designed by Hugh A. Stubbins. Today, the landmark building is an exhibition space for international contemporary art and an open forum for discussion and debate in this field. In addition to building safety, the second phase of partial renovation essentially comprises the modernization of the auditorium and lecture hall, the increased flexibility of the historic seating in the two aforementioned rooms, the installation of a new signage system, the refurbishment of the Hirschfeldbar and the redesign of an exhibition hall. The focus here is on the careful handling of listed buildings. Numerous fixtures and surfaces are restored, remain in the original and thus preserve the original character of the building. The wood elements of the auditorium, the Hirschfeldbar in the lower foyer and the cloakroom in the upper foyer are removed, worked up, cleaned and provided with the latest technology. The redesigned wayfinding and information system for the public areas is carried out via projections on selected wall and floor areas. For further orientation additional room inscriptions are applied, which are based on the historical model and manufactured in the aluminum casting process. The concept relies on an updating and further development of the qualities of the house, in particular the openness, the flowing transitions and staged spatial sequences.
Size: 14.437 m² GFA
Services: LPH 1-9
Dates: Completion 2017
Client: Kulturveranstaltungen des Bundes in Berlin GmbH